We just never have enough space. It doesn’t matter how big a house looks in the beginning. By the time you’ve actually lived in it long enough for it to feel like home, all that space has disappeared. Open, clear floor space replaced by storage and empty storage filled with all the odds and ends of daily life. Not to mention kids! Kids eat through space like it’s going out of fashion.
So what do we do? Well the obvious answer is to move: find a new, bigger, house; a house with more bedrooms, bigger bedrooms, and maybe even a bigger garage. Then just get another huge mortgage to pay for it all.
When you really think about it, it stops being so appealing, it’s not just buying the new house to consider, there’s the problem of selling yours. Then there’s stamp duty and all of the other hidden and semi-hidden fees and charges that have a habit of mounting up.
Thankfully, there is another answer. One that doesn’t involve taking out yet another massive mortgage; leaving the area that you’re used to; trying to sell a house in a depression; or dealing with the logistical headache of packing everything up, finding a removal company that you trust and then unpacking everything in a new place. This answer is to build an extension.
Building an extension has a number of strong advantages over moving home:
• It limits your involvement in a volatile and unpredictable housing market.
• You avoid getting involved in negotiating a mortgage in a post credit-crunch world.
• It avoids the inconvenience of having to pack your entire life away for the duration of a move.
• There is no loss of all the advantages of all the benefits that brought you to your current area in the first place.
• You have almost total flexibility to extend outwards, upwards with a loft conversion or even downwards with a basement conversion.
• The end product is a new space tailored to your needs: extend existing rooms; build big rooms or just more rooms: the choice is yours.
An extension is a clear way to get all the advantages of a bigger property without the pitfalls of having to move home. Whatever type of extension you decide on, get in touch with local builders in Northampton, London, Birmingham, or wherever you live for more information on how to make your dream of space a reality.